Sunday, July 18, 2010

welding project

After viewing an instructible about a homemade arc welder I decided that the project looked so simple that I would try it out.  I needed 2 microwaves to take apart for their transformers.  Well I purchased one for $14 at the local value village and JUST when I'm about to get the coil out, I nick the side of the coil with the wire I DON'T want to damage.  That's about an hours' worth of work down the drain and I'm back to square one.


Well yesterday I picked up a new microwave off of freecycle.org, and then went to home depot and bough an 8 inch gutter nail to use as a drift, and a 24 oz ball-pein hammer (instead of my trusty waffle-faced framing hammer that's served me so well for my wood projects), as well as a 25 feet of 10 gauge wire, in anticipation of ACTUALLY WINDING THIS COIL!


Ideally I would package the welder with the plasma cutter (also on instructibles.com) and everything would be awesome, but right now I need to focus on finishing this project.  I think this will help get my teeth cut on some building.


Next time I will post pictures of the process of preparing the transformers.


Real Life Alert


I have midterms this upcoming week, so I will be unable to do much in the way of working on this project.  Differential equations, and discrete modeling... wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment